Godly Play - The Story of Creation

By far, my VERY FAVORITE thing we do in our homeschool is Godly Play. I've written a post on it before, but in a nutshell, Godly Play is a method of learning about and engaging with God and Scripture with young kids. We usually tell one Godly Play story per week, and this week's story was...



As usual, I made my own materials. You can buy beautiful, quality Godly Play materials online (just google Godly Play materials : )) but they're spendy. So with just a little felt and a couple of hours one evening, I made the creation materials myself!




Of course there are seven days in the creation story, so each day is represented by a medium-sized gray felt rectangle with felt cut-outs that go on top. Here's the one for Day 4.




The story I told was, as usual, from Young Children and Worship by Sonja M. Stewart and Jerome W. Berryman.

There are videos of the stories being told on YouTube and I almost always watch the story I'm preparing for, even before making any materials. The story script is in Young Children and Worship, but it's much easier to see the story played out when getting ready to not only make your own materials, but tell the story yourself. Here's the link to the YouTube video I watched.

After I tell a Godly Play story, I usually give each of my kids, 4 and 7, a chance to tell it too. Throughout the week, we'll read the story account from Scripture itself at some point and we'll continue to talk about the story as we go along with life. Sometimes I'll google activities or even just coloring pages related to the story and do those with the kids too.

If you haven't explored Godly Play yet... go, go, go! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment